Prospective Catechist Trainers
Interested instructors in catechist formation must go through a one-day catechist trainer seminar before instructing catechists. For more information, please email Kino Catechetical Institute at email@example.com
- Catechist Trainer Support Materials (password protected)
Material para Entrenedores
- Material para Entrenadores (password protected)
Frequently Asked Questions
Prepare to be enthralled: FAQ’s for pastors and parish leaders on the Catechist Formation Process are available here (updated July 1, 2012).
ABOUT THE PROCESS
- What levels of certification does the Diocese have for the certification of catechists and parish catechetical and youth evangelization leaders?
- What is a catechist? Who falls under the definition of a catechist in our Diocese?
- What Church documents provide the guiding principles for catechist formation?
- Why is it important to form and train catechists?
- What are the major themes regarding Catechist Formation in the current catechetical documents?
- What are the goals of the new catechist formation process?
- What are the underlying principles of the new catechist formation?
II. FORMING CATECHISTS
- How should pastors and parish leaders discern a person’s calling to serve as a catechist in a
- What role does Scripture have in the catechist formation process?
- What role does the United States Catholic Catechism for Adults (USCCA) have in the catechist formation process?
- What are the courses in the new catechist formation process?
- What happens if a person misses a course or a session? Can they continue in the formation process? Do they have to wait until the next time that missed session is offered?
- Can non-catechists, including parents and any interested adult, attend these sessions?
- This formation process appears to be all about content. Will the formation sessions be simply intellectual?
- How will the curriculum be formatted and offered?
- What additional elements will be part of catechist formation?
- Do Catholic School Teachers who are not catechists have to go through elements of the process that don’t directly impact them?
- Is there a cost to the new catechist formation process?
- When will catechist applications be processed and reviewed?
- What are the requirements for catechist recertification? When does a certified catechist need to apply for recertification?
- Can certified catechists take the new formation process for recertification?
- Does the Diocese offer catechist recertification sessions?
- Where can I find a schedule of courses in the new process?
- How can my parish offer this formation?
III. QUALIFICATIONS OF CATECHIST TRAINERS
- What are the qualifications for catechist trainers and presenters?
- What training is provided for catechist trainers?
- How much time will it take trainers to prepare for a session? What materials are provided for